This embroidery started with a little red "starfish" shape and then it took a life of it's own as it slowly evolved to become the heavily embroidered piece that it is now. It became a coral reef - full of life and unexpected things - there are starfish, seaweed, a crab and if you look carefully you may even spot the lobster that somehow ended up there. The red wavy bit at the bottom left is only attached at the bottom - the rest is completely free from the background. The long snakelike thing that curves from the bottom to the top of the piece has over 2000 stitches in it and took me several days to do - it's made with the Casalguidi Stitch
. I had a lot of fun making this, it was nice trying out loads of new to me stitches and, as it was made free form, even I didn't know what it was going to look like till it was finished.
It's 4 x 3 1/8 inch / 10 x 8 cm, made on 14 ct black Aida using 5 colours of variegated perle (red, green, blue, orange, yellow), 4 colours DMC colour variations, beads and several kinds of ribbon. I used a total of 25 different stitches to create this many from Sharon b's Dictionary of Stitches for Hand Embroidery and Needlework
and some I found in my ancient copy of Enclyclopedia of needlework by TH. de Dillmont.
I made the embroidery into a cover for my far too pink diary, which I'd only got because I LOVE the (not so pink) interior and I knew I'd eventually get round to making a cover for it.
This is an entry for the February - Artisan Craft Monthly Challenge!I used the following stitches:
Buttonhole Bar Stitch
Cast on stitch
Detached Buttonhole Stitch
Detached Chain Stitch
Double Cast On Stitch
Knotted Cretan Stitch
Rosette of Thorns
Whipped Fly Stitch
Whipped Spiders Wheel
Woven Spiders Wheel
I can't believe I got a DD for this! Thanks =ChimeraDragonfang for suggesting this and thanks ^maytel for featuring it! It is a huge compliment to have my work chosen as a DD