This is the 7th UFO that I completed since I started my personal attack on the UFO's in my stash. I picked this embroidery up again on October 1st after not working on it for at least 16 years.
This is a pattern from the Burda special with maritime patterns, E 317 printed in 1995. I did the central area within the green border without the shell border as I really can't cope with lots of pink. I did the fish that's looking the "wrong" way (middle top row) in mirror image as my inner OCD person doesn't like that one fish is looking the "wrong" way and I do like keeping my inner OCD person happy when it comes to crafts.
I realised at the moment I started the last small fish in the top middle row that I had placed them wrong. When I started the pattern way back in 1995 or 1996 I had added an extra 5 stitches space on all sides to float the fish a bit more but of course by the time I got round to adding the last row of fish I had completely forgotten and did the fish according to the pattern. Since I didn't want to unpick so much work and it looked ok I decided to leave it as it was and accept it's not quite evenly perfect placements. Instead I folded the work in half both ways meeting up the embroidered edges of the available area and worked from the middle of the fish to get it centred and by a stroke of luck it also lined up with the stitches of the other fish so it's not half a stitch off or anything.
It's not framed at this moment so it's not perfectly straight along the edges in the photo and till I have enough money to frame it or think of another way to make it ready for hanging it's going away in the drawer of completed embroideries as it is.
The pattern uses 50 colours.
The area embroidered is: 16 inches square / 41 cm square.
Hours worked: I don't want to know but it was LOTS!
I haven't dared work out how many stitches this has.. there are just too many
I've entered this embroidery into *Zhiah
's The Sea themed contest